Sunday, March 19, 2006

Fatal tragedy

Just over a week ago, tragedy struck. One of the students at my medical school tragically took her own life. I didn't know her personally, though I did recognize her. She always had a smile on her face and seemed to be a wonderful, positive person. It is a sad demonstration that no one is immune when it comes to depression. My heart goes out to her family, her friends, and most of all to her. When I was younger, and much more naive, I didn't understand how someone could choose to end his/her life. That edge just seemed so impossibly far away to me, the journey to get there was infinite. Then something happened, and suddenly I found that edge in sight. Granted, it was still a ways off, but suddenly it was in sight. I was fortunate. I had a wife and two (at the time) children who needed me. They were my anchor, they kept me from getting too close to that edge. I was fortunate to have an anchor that solid. I desperately wish my classmate had. May she rest in peace, and her family find some comfort and peace.

4 comments:

  1. that really sucks.. maybe we should have a class specially for social issues like drugs and commiting suicide to educate kids.. they are lost and need guidance and i don't see many mainstream media like tv providing these sorts of education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooo sorry to hear that Blue!! My prayers are with her family.

    Welcome to Blogger!!

    XXOO,
    JTL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:25 PM

    This is so very sad but true! Depression is just a step away :(. Many hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your comments. I wish her and her family the best as well. Thanks again for the comments.

    JTL: I plan on still using my JU blog, but am going to mirror everything here as well for when that site has "issues". Thanks for the welcome!

    ReplyDelete